Harvey Moore (1916-1960) was an avid outdoorsman and naturalist. In 1944, he purchased property from Harriet Molyneaux and began to establish a bird sanctuary for migratory waterfowl. His vision for the 120 acre property was to create a safe staging area for migrating waterfowl that travelled along the Atlantic Flyway, but also to provide safe habitat for resident wildlife. He achieved this by creating two very large ponds on the upper northwest branch of the Sturgeon River. The first year only a pair of ducks arrived, but this had increased to fifty by the second year. A decade later an estimated six thousand birds arrived and during the winter, several of these, especially black ducks, overwintered on the site.
Harvey Moore became renowned for his ability to gain the trust of the birds. He could feed them out of his hand and could even pick some of them up to band them without using traps. He also cared for injured, sick, or wounded birds which came to the sanctuary. The variety of birds which could be found included: Black Duck, American Widgeon, Pintail, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Green-winged Teal, Ringneck Duck, and Canada Geese.
After Harvey’s untimely passing at only 44 years old, the site was inherited by his wife and sons. In 2004, Charles Moore and the Friends of the Harvey Moore Foundation then turned the property over to the Province. The legacy of Harvey Moore continues to be honoured each year at the University of PEI. The Department of Biology annually awards the Harvey Moore Memorial Scholarship to a fourth year student who shows particular interest in studying Island wildlife. Additionally, thousands of waterfowl still visit the sanctuary and as a Wildlife Management Area, it will always be a haven for waterfowl as Harvey would have wished.